Monday, December 7, 2009

Baby, It's Cold Outside!

Brrrrr! This morning it was -33 C (with a wind chill in the -40's) when we got up. It has warmed up a bit...now it's -30 C (which is about -22 F). Yikes!

We had some blizzard conditions here this weekend, which meant LOTS of snow and wind. Yuck! We decided to stay home this weekend rather than travel up to the Edmonton area to visit family. I'm glad we did...they closed highways and there was lots of accidents.


On Saturday afternoon, it calmed down enough that I ventured outside with two of our boys to start shovelling. Man, there were some impressive drifts...not fun to shovel! Here's a look at the drift out our front door! I literally had to shovel us out of the house...by myself since Kevin's back isn't really in a condition to shovel snow.


Taylor, our 7 year old, was more than happy to help shovel. Carter, on the other hand, was more excited to slide down the drift on the front steps! Understandable...he's only 5! He did help out though before he got cold and went in for hot chocolate.


Here's a shot of the drifting that was around Kevin's car.


It doesn't look that bad until you look at the shot I took sitting on the driveway. Notice the hockey net barely peeking out from behind the drift! It was drifted over top the hood of his car. I told him that if his boss wanted him at work today he would have to send some guys to shovel him out! Kev gunned it out of the driveway since the drift behind his car wasn't that bad and brushed his car off on the street and off to work he went this morning! I was surprised his car even started since it's so cold and it wasn't plugged in last night.


Here's another shot of our front sidewalk. Notice the fire hydrant peeking out of the snow!


It took me about 6 hours to shovel us out and muscles that I didn't even know were used to shovel snow hurt. Seriously...do you really use butt muscles to shovel? I guess I do...my butt muscles hurt! Maybe I'm just that out of shape!!! LOL!!!


We don't usually get snow like this here, and if we do it doesn't usually last that long thanks to the chinooks we get. However, I think I'm going to have to learn to live with this snow sticking around for a while. According to the forecast it's supposed to be pretty cold for the next little while, and it will take one heck of a chinook to melt these drifts. Maybe we will have a white Christmas this year!


If it's cold where you are, stay warm today! Until next time my friends!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments. It means a lot to know there there are people out there reading my little blog and being inspired by what I create! Happy stampin' and have an inspired day!