Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Fabulous Corn Chowder

Today I'm going to share a recipe!  The girls that have come to my Soup & Stamps night for the last couple of years have been asking and asking for me to share my recipe for corn chowder.  So, here it is!  Now, a I've said before, I don't really measure when I cook, but I can tell you the steps and give you approximate amounts!  Becasue I know you're wondering...Soup & Stamps will happen during SAB again.

Here are the ingredients you will need.


Step one is to wash, peel and dice your potatoes.  I used 6 medium russets this time!  Once that's done, put them in a large pot and just cover them with water.  You want to cook them until they're almost done.


While the potatoes are cooking, dice up a medium onion.  Once it's diced, put it in a mocrowave safe container with some butter (a tablespoon) and microwave the onions until they're translucent.  This usually takes bewteen 2-3 minutes, but I give it a stir every minute.


When the potatoes are almost done, add the onions to them and then you want to pour some milk into the pot (don't drain the potatoes, just add the milk).  Add as much as you want.  In the end, if you like your soup thicker, you can thicken it with some flour.

Once you've added your milk, you're ready to add the corn.  I use corn that I've blanched and cut off the cob.  I package the corn in 4 cup amounts, so I've added 4 cups of niblets and one can of cream style corn.  If you don't have fresh or frozen corn, you can add about 2 medium cans of niblets corn and 1 can of cream style corn.


After you've added the corn, add salt and white pepper to taste (I used white pepper because I think black pepper looks kind of like bugs in the soup!).  If you want, you can also add some garlic powder (I often do!).  You need to bring it up to a boil and then reduce the heat and let it simmer until the corn is cooked.  Stir often and heep the heat low so it doesn't scorch on the bottom.

When it's almost done, add some bacon bits.  I make my own, which is why you see a whole pack of bacon in my ingredient picture.  I don't use a whole pack of bacon bits, just a handful.

I like to serve it with a sprinkle of grated cheese and some cheese biscuits (see this post for the Cheese Biscuit recipe I use).


The kids call this "Mom's Fabulous corn Chowder" and whenever I make it they almost lick their bowls.  They probably do when I'm not home!!!

I do find that this soup freezes well and it's the perfect meal for a dreary day!

Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe and pics. I will need to try that soon - but not this week with the warm weather!
    Can't wait for the next Soup & Stamps!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thank you Lisa! Your soup and bisquits are soooo good. I too can't wait for the next soup and stamps!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments. It means a lot to know there there are people out there reading my little blog and being inspired by what I create! Happy stampin' and have an inspired day!