Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Sew Cute

I've been sewing!  I decided that I should use my Candy Cane fabric before the mini ends and it's still sitting in the package on my desk.  So, I made a cute little bag!


I used two pairs of Carter's old jeans, some of my Candy Cane fabric, and some Big Shot dies.  I'm thrilled with how it turned out!

Here's my pattern...


I was inspired by a similar bag my friend Susan showed at the September event I've talked about many times.  Each of the squares was cut with the Scallop Square die.  They are doubled and an X is sewen on each one to keep the pieces together.  I layed out all my pieces that were sewen with the X's according to my pattern and then started sewing them together.  The best part is that you don't have to be super careful when sewing them together because you want the edges to be sticking out so they fray and get all worn looking.

My strap was two strips of the small polka dot Candy Cane fabric sewen together like a tube and then after being flipped right sides out the edges are hemmed a bit so that the handle would stay flat.  The handle was attached to either side of the bag and then a small scallop circle (cut from denim) was sewen on over the end of the handle.  I finished it off with a Candy Cane button (a pink one!) in the middles of the scallop circles.

Here's a closer look at the embellishment on the front flap.


This was cut with the Scallop Circles die and the Circles die.  The pieces are layered together and finished off with a button and some Pretty In Pink 1/8" Taffeta Ribbon.  I did heat the ends of the ribbon with a lighter to melt them a bit so they wouldn't fray in the wash.

My pictures don't do this project justice!  It's so cute in real life!

That's all for today.  Have an inspired day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments. It means a lot to know there there are people out there reading my little blog and being inspired by what I create! Happy stampin' and have an inspired day!