Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Rollercoaster

Hi friends.  My stampaversary celebration is on hold and the post that was set to publish today has been moved to another day.  Today is a waterproof mascara day.  Let me explain...

Yesterday started out as a great day.  We went to the parade, the kids had a blast, they were thrilled to have McDonalds for lunch, we played outside and we just had a really good summer day.  Fast forward to yesterday evening.  I was checking email and received an email from a good friend (we've been friends since we were 8!) saying that she had had baby #2 and it was a girl!  I was just emailing back a congratulations to her when the phone rang and Kevin and I found out that one of our very good friends had passed away suddenly.  Our lives have been intertwined since we were all very young...Kevin and her have been friends since Kindergarten.  We grew up together in the same small city...went to the same schools...had the same teachers...and some of the same friends.  Her brother and mine played hockey together; her mom and my mom worked together for many years; we have kids the same age (who are friends).  We spent many evenings together playing cards and games, laughing, reminiscing, talking about the future, sharing meals and just watching our kids play.  She showed up on our front step one day with an ultrasound report and three baby blue balloons to tell us that our third and final baby was going to be another boy and not a girl like we thought!  We often commented that we were more like family to each other than friends...especially since our extended families live quite a distance from us.  She was only 35...way too young for something like this to happen.  It's tragic.

To say that we are in shock is an understatement.  We are numb.  We are devastated.  We are emotionally exhausted.  I feel like this is all a nightmare and I will wake up soon and everything will be back to the way it's supposed to be.  My heart is breaking for her family...her brother, her parents, her husband and most of all her two sweet girls who will have to grow up and go through so many experiences without their mom.  I can only imagine how they are all feeling right now.  My heart is breaking for everyone whose life was touched by her, as I know we are all feeling the same overwhelming emotions right now.

Last night was a night of very little sleep (for both Kevin and I)...so many emotions, so many memories, so many thoughts running through our heads, lots of tossing and turning, lots of tears.  In times like this, I'm thankful to have a family and friends to turn to for support and I'm thankful to have my stamps.  I know that sounds silly, but it was very calming in the wee hours of the morning, when I was unable to sleep or concentrate on my book, to just pull out my stamps and create something.  Something that is mine, something that nobody can take away from me, something that brought a small smile to my face when it was finished, something that made me feel a little better.

Sympathy cards are a type of card that I usually rarely have a need for.  It seems kind of morbid to have them on hand and it's sometimes hard to make them when you need them.  Since November, this is the 5th one I've made.


The Gently Falling set from the upcoming Holiday Mini is what's on my desk right now, so it was what got used last night (or should I say this morning).  I chose More Mustard, Cajun Craze and Bravo Burgundy for my card with some Early Espresso, Crumb Cake and Naturals Ivory.  I'm not going to go into more detail today, but if you have questions about what I did, ask and I will answer.


Well, that's all for today.  I sincerely hope that your week is going better than mine!  I have posts set to publish for the next few days and the winner from yesterday's post will be announced tomorrow. 

Tash...you left us too soon.  You are greatly missed and will not be forgotten.
Hug your kids tight today (if you have any), tell the people that mean the most to you that you love them, keep in touch with old friends, be kind and thoughtful and live with no regrets...you never know what could happen to change things in an instant.  Have an inspired day.




6 comments:

  1. Lis and Kev......So sorry to hear of this tragedy !! .........Jay/Jacki

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry for the loss of your good friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to put my name on the above comment...it's me Janet :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. God saw you getting tired and a cure was not to be. So he put his arms around you & whispered come with me. With tearful eyes we watched and saw you pass away. Although we love you dearly. we could not make you stay. A golden heart stopped beating, hard working hands at reast. God broke our hearts to prove to us he only takes the best.

    Lisa, you are in my thoughts and prayers. This is a hard time indeed for you, your family.

    I got emotional and at work. Good thing no one was around to see me.

    Take care
    Lacey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Lisa, I am glad I read on and I am sorry to hear about your dear friend. Losing someone at such a young age seems to be the hardest type of loss because it seems senseless and, for me, makes me realize that I could go at any moment too. I share this next thought as comfort and encouragement for you . . . I lost my father when I was young and he was young too. I was 14 and he was 40. At a young age, one of his friends maintained contact with us after he died and that was very meaningful and important to me - I hope that you and others can do that for your friend's children too. In the meantime, take gentle care and love the ones around you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am really sorry for your loss!

    -Avery

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments. It means a lot to know there there are people out there reading my little blog and being inspired by what I create! Happy stampin' and have an inspired day!